Thursday 27 April 2017

Linda Torkelson named Community Champion for Woodstock's Relay

Norwich-area resident is a breast cancer survivor and dedicated CCS volunteer

Torkelson believes strongly in local initiatives such as Wheels Of Hope volunteer drivers


The Relay For Life committee in Woodstock didn’t have to look too far to find its ‘Community Champion’ for 2017.
A community champion is someone who dedicates many hours as a volunteer, but is also a spokesperson for the Canadian Cancer Society (CCS) cause and Linda Torkelson fits both categories.
The Norwich-area resident is a cancer survivor and has been a member of the organizing committee for several years, including as chair of the sub-committee to plan happenings around the survivors’ tent.
Linda Torkelson

As a cancer survivor, Linda has the compassion and empathy to assist anyone at the survivors’ tent and is always very proud to also participate in the survivors’ lap at Relay, which is a walk about camaraderie and conquering cancer, a lap of yellow t-shirts marking the end of the opening ceremony.
The survivors’ tent recently added a noteworthy idea. Various colours of sand representing various types of cancer are poured into a large vase by those in attendance who have defeated cancer. The layered vase is very symbolic.
The empathy role on the survivors’ committee is integral as many participating at Relay For Life are continuing treatments and Linda is quick to supply encouragement.
On Heart FM, Torkelson talked about current CCS educational and volunteer projects on both the national and local level, and looked back at a significant CCS accomplishment.
"Like the Wheels of Hope, driving cancer patients to and from their cancer appointment, the peer support program and also advocacy on the national level. It's amazing, we advocated for a smoke-free workplace and we achieved that, that's a testimony of what Relay For Life is and what the Canadian Cancer Society does," she said. 
You will be able to watch Linda Torkelson on the Rogers TV show Daytime Oxford, by checking out this link: http://rogerstv.com/media?lid=237&rid=15&gid=276985
Here’s Linda’s story. . .
Linda will appear this week on Daytime Oxford on Rogers TV

By Linda Torkelson
Printed with permission.
My life after cancer - After being diagnosed with breast cancer when our daughter was only 10 months old, my life changed or at least was redirected. A new house, new baby and getting back into the work force; these were life changing elements within themselves. Throw cancer into the mix and you have one stunned, emotional, worried new mother, not knowing what is going to happen.
Doctors telling you about your prognosis and options for treatment, a husband that is alarmed, angry and panicked; parents that just want to hold you like you were five; family and friends that are just as stunned and scared, -- all seeking to find the words to console.
Actually, people from all directions were aiming to help in some way.
What will I do? How do I carry on? What's next?
Well, I asked for help; first from God then from my family and friends. If you know me, then you know I can be a little obstinate but this was something that I could not do alone and I think giving people the opportunity to help gave them an ease about the entire diagnosis and how to approach me directly.
I'm not a shy person, or at least not anymore. I have been from the very beginning open about this journey, which I infallibly did not ask or want to travel on, but here I am.
How I approached cancer, head on, would assist how I was going to beat cancer and live with all that it bestowed upon me.
Staying alive is absolute and when something threatens it without your consent, the warrior in you with baring teeth and fists clenched is revealed.
I had a daughter that needed a mother. I was not going to show her what defeat looked like.
I had a husband that needed to know that I was going to be around to help raise her. We had dreams and cancer put a wrench into those but that was not going to break or prevent us from living life.
I didn't know what was in store from one day to the next and grasping for some kind of control can be exhausting. Living a life with purpose and hope -- without fear -- is my goal and I can only pray that others can feel the same way after a cancer diagnosis. I am also not immune to facts that cancer takes lives. I have seen friends and family die from this disease, notably my niece of 35 last September from pancreatic cancer; it devastates. 
The Canadian Cancer Society can give hope; from prevention and awareness to research. From information and support the CCS is there. Call 1-888-939-3333 or visit www.cancer.ca 
Cancer Changes Everything. So Can You.

This is why I Relay.
LINKS: 
http://www.heartfm.ca/news/local-news/community-champion-announced-for-woodstock-relay-for-life/
www.cancer.ca

http://www.cancer.ca/en/support-and-services/support-services/transportation-on/?region=on


Don't Forget
Information Night is Wednesday, May 3
Plan to attend if you would like to #AcceptTheBaton 
and join Relay For Life






No comments:

Post a Comment